Countries’ demographics become increasingly diverse as they become more linked on a worldwide scale, and our cross-cultural encounters become more common. Our world continues to grow in size, wealth, and cultural variety. This is more than just appreciating our differences; it’s laying the road for a new future where everyone stands on firm footing.
In author Yelena Borichevska’s book “She Let God Write Her Story,” Christian-Ukrainian cultures and values are elaborated, achieving a deeper understanding of it.
Here we will explain the importance and benefits of deeply understanding someone from a different culture.
Understanding of Ukrainian Values
Everyone in Ukraine is friendly and eager to welcome guests into their homes and feed them the food and drinks they’ve prepared for them. Christian-Ukrainians are also very family-oriented, with their grandparents living with their grandchildren as well as their own.
With being integrated into the American culture in the last few decades, lots of families learned to appreciate opportunities where grandparents and/or other families can live on their own but loyalty and commitment to take care of elders or be there for those with housing problems or in transition, remain a must.
Although it might seem that the opinion of a man is more important than that of a woman in Ukraine, which is a patriarchal country, good moral men have always respected the opinions of a woman. However, western influence is gradually reversing this strong trend. In politics, business, and other fields, more and more women are taking on leadership roles, but remain loyal to keeping their family values and are doing all possible to put families as a priority.
People in Ukraine place a high value on family and cherish the time they spend together. They have a strong history of tradition and are very enthusiastic about singing and dancing.
Ukrainians are primarily Christians. Orthodox Christians predominate in the east, while Greek Catholics populate the west. There are also Roman Catholics, Protestants, and Muslims in the country, but they make up just a small percentage of the population. Regardless of the large variety, Ukrainians are known to be God-fearing people.
Importance of Understanding Different Cultures
Learning about the hardships and traditions of various cultures, such as Christian-Ukrainian cultures, can be gained by spending time with people from other ethnicities. As a result, you’ll be able to reassess any assumptions you’ve made about someone with a different culture, including your everyday routines and habits.
Personal growth and cultural understanding are both enhanced by this kind of education. Understanding it thoroughly allows you to get cultural awareness and first-hand knowledge of what it’s like to be a member of another society.
Here are some ways to indulge in cultures different from yours:
- Visit a church
- Participate in local festivities with an open heart and mind.
- If you’re curious, don’t hesitate to ask questions, but make sure you’re actively listening. This is to be courteous when someone is kind enough to open up and share their world or cultural beliefs.
- learn the language and dialect of their own country. Even if you only acquire a few words and phrases, you will be able to establish meaningful connections with people from cultures other than your own.
- See and experience what the locals are eating and drinking. Cuisines have an important role in shaping people’s cultural identities.
- It’s possible to gain a new perspective on the world around you through the power of art. Explore the town’s art galleries, theaters, and historic institutions.
Benefits of Understanding Different Cultures
We may embrace multiculturalism and reconsider our previous beliefs by cultivating a positive, inclusive, and culturally diverse society. An important lesson we learn from studying and comprehending other cultures is that we have nothing to gain by passing judgment on people or things we do not know.
Here are the benefits of understanding other cultures:
- Respecting one another’s differences in culture.
- Acknowledging that there are a wide variety of culture and that each one is unique.
- Recognizing the importance of diverse cultural perspectives and manifestations.
- Celebrating one another instead of simply accepting one another’s differences
- Being critical of one’s own prejudices empowers people to reach their fullest potential.
- Promoting the participation of a wide variety of people in local communities and in public discourse.
- valuing the unique contributions of people from different cultures.
People will be able to interact and make new acquaintances more easily if they interact with a variety of different groups from various cultural backgrounds. It’s also possible that they’ll be able to identify and fix cultural problems before they arise.
This post has provided the Christian-Ukrainian culture and values. More so, we hope we have helped you know how and why it is important to deeply understand different cultures as you may encounter someone as such. If you want to have a good read that is related to this topic, you can order a copy of “She Let God Write Her Story” by Yelena Borichevska at Amazon.
Photo by Ali Khalil: https://www.pexels.com/photo/people-sitting-at-table-near-market-7542090/